Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Going Global

I am a trusted traveler...
I like that - What are you waiting for? Um, you. It took nearly three months, but I'm in! I'm a trusted traveler in the US Customs and Border Protection program Global Entry. The program "allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States." It also provides the added benefit of using the TSA's PreCheck lanes so you don't have to take off your shoes or remove your laptop from your bag when flying through participating airports/airlines.

While the entire process took about three months, it was relatively painless. Just fill out the form online and pay the $100 fee, good for 5 years (but non-refundable should you fail). After a couple of weeks you are notified of your conditional approval and instructed to go online and make the appointment for the in person interview. These can take place at any participating airport, but the busier the airport the longer you have to wait for an appointment. I applied in June and just had my appointment today.

The appointment was easy. The serviceman confirmed my information, took a photo for the membership card and then fingerprinted me. Once my fingerprints came back clear he activated my passport. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.

The key here will be to see how well it actually works when I return to the country after my next trip to the UK. Stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment