Saturday, September 14, 2013

London Calling

This spring’s trip to London consisted of beautiful side trips, via train, to Portmeirion and Edinburgh.
London March & April 2013

I love taking the red-eye in to London. Despite my inability to sleep on planes, I feel I’m not wasting the day traveling by doing it at night. My seatmate on this flight was local photographer Donald Verger. We spent a good deal of time talking about travel and the joys of iPhone photography and he showed me images from an upcoming calendar. I’m not one for chatting up strangers, especially in the confines of an airplane, but I also know never to pass up the opportunity to get to know interesting people.
Upon arrival, feeling exhausted but exhilarated at the same time, I made my way to my friend’s home for a nap and nice breakfast. The afternoon was spent at the British Museum’s Life and Death Pompeii andHerculeneum exhibit.


Saturday was spent doing some shopping (i.e., looking for the newly released Doctor Who stamps). I also paid a visit to the SouthbankBook Market. It is open daily, rain or shine, under Waterloo Bridge on the Southbank of the Thames. I’d never been before and I must say I was impressed; there are lots of tables to browse with books ranging from cheap to rare/expensive. Being outdoors and on water, it was very chilly so bundle up if you plan to visit in the colder months.

Easter Sunday was a busy day filled with visits to Doctor Who locations from one of my favorite episodes, Android Invasion, as well as the awesome Didcot Railway Centre.


 East Hagbourne


An idea that had come to me on a previous trip – On the Bus, London from the top of double decker buses. So I spent several days throughout the trip riding double decker buses and snapping shots from the front seat. Some of the best shots are here.

 
As a fan of both Doctor Who and the Prisoner, I wanted to see the village of Portmeirion in Wales.

We took a gorgeous 7 hour train journey out to Minffordd station, the closest to the village, and were picked up by village staff and brought to the grounds. After such a long train journey, and arriving close to dinner time, the ride was welcome, though it looked to be an easy 20 minute walk.

It was designed by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis in the style of an Italian village, with colorful buildings and lush foliage, and overlooking a peaceful River Dwyryd estuary. It was featured in many tv shows besides The Prisoner, including the 4th Doctor episode, The Masque of Mandragora.

The next day, before making our way back to London, we decided to catch a Ffestiniog Railway steam train from Minffordd one stop to Porthmadog and then catch a London train from there. It was a short ride, but well worth it and has whetted our appetite to try the entire journey in 2014!
















Back in London, tour of Parliament highly recommend. No photos inside though!


Last Call – Edinburgh.

I had never taken a sleeper train before so we made last minute arrangements to head to Edinburgh about the Caledonian Sleeper. What an amazing trip, even though you sleep through most of it. We had cocktails and played cards, went to sleep and awoke bright and early in Edinburgh, ready to take on the day.






We stayed right in the center of the action, on the Royal Mile, at the Bank Hotel, now called the Inn on the Mile Lovely hotel, posh room with a cool pub as their main floor/registration area.

Once back in London, the trip was coming to an end. I spent my last day at the TFL Museum Depot in Acton at their "open weekend" where we viewed steam trains...
 

...and many interesting relics. I highly recommend a trip out here!

Mere months now until my next voyage to the UK, which will include David Tennant in Richard II, Paris and the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who!

2 comments: